Maintaining the correct condition of the water in closed systems is essential for the avoidance of microbiological fouling (bio-fouling), corrosion, and scale. If not properly managed, these issues can result in energy wastage, poor system performance, and early replacement of plant technologies and components.
There are several guidance documents for different applications, including BG29/2012 for pre-commission cleaning of pipework systems, and BG50/2013 for water treatment for closed heating and cooling systems.
Closed systems need to be pre-commission cleaned and/or water sample taken for analysis:
- In any new installation of a heating or chilled closed water system
- Where major extensions or alterations have been carried out to the water system
- Ongoing water analysis gives a good indication of system health and can help determine preventative or remedial action
- When systems show a deterioration in water quality such as increased levels of iron, which indicates corrosion activity
Closed System Water Sampling
Clearwater’s qualified water treatment technicians perform site visits 2-3 weeks prior to works to collect microbiological samples from the fill mains and the closed system and determine flushing procedures.
Clearwater’s qualified technicians will advise on exact flushing procedures which may include:
- Biocide wash – for microbiological reduction
- Dynamic flush – to remove/reduce large debris
- Chemical clean – to remove/reduce oil, grease, and flux
- Chemical cleaning will also disperse iron oxide participates and prepare surfaces for chemical dosing by passivation.
Applications & Industries
Typical applications for closed system treatment or sampling include industrial boilers, industrial process equipment, heat exchangers, pipelines, cooling systems, vessels – in fact, any type of plant!
Chemical Cleaning will optimise plant operating efficiency and prolong its life. It will also help reduce costly repairs and make plant maintenance easier and safer by minimising risk to site personnel through the elimination of potential environmental hazards.
Clearwater’s expert teams are experienced in the design, supply, installation and maintenance of cost-effective ROI generating water treatment solutions across various sectors, including but not limited to:
- Automotive & Aerospace
- Buildings & Institutions
- Facilities Management
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Hospitals & Healthcare
- Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics
In all cases, Clearwater differs from traditional approaches in using an open, flexible and nimble approach to create the right team to make a rapid difference to their clients’ businesses. Contact us today to find out more.